Monday, September 28, 2009

High Winds Means An Angry Lake Erie

It’s a very windy day here in Northeast Ohio, which means it’s a great day to head to Mentor Headlands to catch a few pictures of a turbulent Lake Eire. The beach was almost deserted, with only 4 (crazy) people besides me trying to walk the mile long beach. Wind gusts in the area were reported at 50 mph and it was very hard to stand up, much less walk near the shore. I took a few hundred photos, and have included a few of them below. (I also took some video, but since it was hard to stand up or hold the camera steady, I am not quite sure if they will be watchable. If they are, I’ll get it up on my YouTube channel.)

For the birders out there, I saw quite a few gull-like birds flying against the wind, and doing a pretty good job at holding steady. I think I caught some ring-billed gulls in these photos, but since identifying gulls is my weak spot, I hope someone will tell me if I am wrong.

Now I have to figure out how to get sand out of my ears. I took quite a sandblasting out there.










All Content © Chris A. Zimmer and chriszimmer.blogspot.com


Check out my blog home page for the latest information, chriszimmer.blogspot.com, here.

No comments: