Monday, January 14, 2008

It’s Cold, It’s Snowing, Let’s Go to Maui!

It’s that time of year here in Northeast Ohio where one starts to wish for the summer months to hurry up and arrive. Since that isn’t going to happen soon, I thought I’d share a compilation of photos that I took over three separate trips to Maui, Hawaii (see video box below). It will warm you up just looking at it. It may not stop the snow outside, but it may take your mind off of it for a few minutes.

Some of the sights included in this montage are: the West Maui Mountains, a sugar cane burn, the Iao Valley and Iao Needle, Kapalua, North Maui, Lahaina, the Pioneer Inn, the Banyan Tree, the Carthaginian, the Jodo Mission, Kaanapali, Hana and O'heo Gulch (AKA the 7 Sacred Pools), Haleakala crater, and rainbows and sunsets. Also included were a few shots from a sailing trip to Lanai. Molokai can also be seen in the distance in some shots taken from Maui.

Pay close attention to the pictures of the Iao Valley. You’ll see the profile of President John F. Kennedy in a rock formation. It's a must see in the Iao Valley. Many of the pineapple fields photographed north of Kapalua, and in Lanai, are gone due to development.

There were two things about Maui that I was unable to capture on camera. The first was the wonderful fragrance of the air (I recall a very floral scent with the touch of salt water). The second was the clarity of the night sky. It was the only time in my life that I actually could clearly see the Milky Way at night. The number and density of the stars visible was astounding. In fact, there were so many it was as if it was a solid blanket of sparkling dots. It is a sight I will never forget.

One day, when I get my nerve back up to fly again, Maui is on the top of my list of destinations. Aloha!







Check out my blog home page for the latest information,
HERE!

No comments: