Monday, November 5, 2007

Mentor, Ohio and Mentor Headlands State Park

I’ve lived in Mentor, Ohio since 1975, and likewise my husband, since 1963. The community has undergone quite a bit of change over the years, some good and some not so good. There can be constant, heavy traffic on Mentor Avenue, and the city has virtually become a shrine to consumerism. But, I always say that if you have to shop for something, if you can’t find it in Mentor, you may not find it anywhere.

The city is home to Lawnfield, the home of James A. Garfield, the 20th President of the United States. The house is designated a National Historic Site.

One of the gems of the Mentor area is Mentor Headlands State Park. With a beach that is about a mile long, grassy dunes, and a break wall and lighthouse at the eastern end, it’s a great place to take a relaxing walk, hear the Lake Erie waves. and to bird watch. During hot summer weekends it can become quite busy, and I find that a weekday visit is much more enjoyable. It’s one of my favorite local places to photograph, so I thought I’d share some of those pictures with you. Also, check out my YouTube video of a windy, fall day at Headlands.



The Dunes


Headlands Beach, looking east



Lighthouse



Lake Erie



Lighthouse and break wall



Check out my blog home page for the latest information,
HERE!

No comments: